- (6) Machines to drill aluminum: Chevy or Cadillac RH/LH parts (four different styles in total)
- Make the repurposed drill motors function
- Work without GDT
- The drill units automatically adjust side to side for either hand parts.
- The various models have varying part lengths.
- Change over between models: has to be less than 15 minutes.
- Part load to be vertical for minimal floor space.
- All the extrusions are formed (bent) resulting in inconsistency in geometry through the center axis.
- Material handling: cut off end pieces
- Find a means for a right hand part in the right hand nest without having to “baton” the part.
- Identify what had to be changed over and what had to move while maintaining tolerance
- Color code the four parts blue, yellow, red and green and carry that over to the machine function.
- Machine cycle time 4 seconds not including load/unload.
- Change over time of 3 seconds. The 15 minute requirement could not have been meant via manual changeover - this had to be automatic.
- Multiple parts can be run in one machine.
- Consistent and repeatable output by not having a manual changeover.
- Right hand part is loaded in the right hand nest without having to “baton” the long parts for correct orientation.
- Air blow off to move the cut off piece into the chute.
- Visible four color stack light on all six machines. One color on all six machines indicates run of one style part.
- Time improvements beating target time by: 73% for machine cycle.